Here is what is going on as of early Wednesday morning.
My blood pressure was elevated at my 34w appt last Tuesday, but Dr. Gibbs sent me home with instructions to take it easy, alter my diet (I'd not been able to keep solids down), and we'd reevaluate this week.
Well, after another week of a pretty much all-liquid diet, a 4 lb. weight gain at yesterday's 35w appt was pretty indicative that I was having some water retention/swelling issues. Dr. Gibbs examined my hands, feet, and legs; took my BP (which was 140/80); and sent me home with explicit instructions to "tone it down" and to monitor my BP at home. I was to call him ASAP, no matter when, if my BP reached 140/90.
Okay, and aside...how am I supposed to "tone" down the level of activity I'm currently doing? Yesterday, I literally did not get up off the couch except to fix lunch for Jim and to check the mail!
Back to the BP... I checked it at 7 pm, and it was 139/82. At 10:30, I started to get very flushed and dizzy, so I checked it again, and it was 141/93. So, I called Dr. Gibbs, and he thought it safe to let me sleep through the night, and I was told to call Jo (my ob nurse) Wednesday morning at 9 when the office opened.
I checked my BP at 6:45 this morning, and it was 156/93, and again at 8:00, and it was 142/92....so now I'm just waiting to talk to Jo at 9:00.
I'm anticipating being sent to the hospital (whether I'll be admitted or not isn't clear to me) for monitoring and a 24-hour urine collection to check for protein....(and for those not uber-savvy in where I'm going with this, we are concerned about preeclampsia). I don't know much more at this time, and I'm sorry to just leave you all with this uncertain not-so-good news...but I'm not sure when Jim or I'll be able to update, and I didn't want the next post to be "he's here!" without any warning.
So, we'd appreciate your prayers in the next few days, and we'll try to update as much and as soon as possible.