Did y’all have a good week? It’s been super hot here, so we’ve been indoors a lot, which has meant a lot of just sitting around, playing trains and discovering our toes. Overall, in terms of 30 x 30, though, it was a successful week. I’m feeling good, and seeing results!
Here’s a quick bullet point recap of the weeks highlights:
Random Tips that seem to help me:
- Drink water out of a water bottle (any ol’ 20 0z.-er will do): it’s easier, somehow, to drain a couple of those, than to constantly have to keep track of and drain one of our kitchen glasses
- Space out the treats: If I know one of my snacks for the day will be popped kettle corn, I dole out my 1 cup at the first taste, and then walk away. I know I have the whole day to empty the cup, and I enjoy each single taste even more. I’ve found this “mind game” works the same way with a pudding cup, a bowl of grapes, or even a 100 calorie pack of Chips Ahoy.
- Keep MFP up at all times: It is so easy to stay accountable and to input everything I eat if the site is already running. No need to tell myself, “oh, I’ll remember this later.” I eat it, I take the 60 seconds it requires to input the data.
Things I discovered:
- There is a reason why it is recommended that you weigh yourself at the same time of day each time you step on a scale. I normally weigh myself first thing in the morning – before I eat, and after I pump. But “just to see,” I weighed myself on pizza night – after I’d eaten – about 8 pm. Yeah. It was not a pretty sight. Lesson learned.
- I’ve always enjoyed cooking, but I’ve rediscovered a love for it, in trying to find intriguing, healthful recipes that both Jim and I will like. So far, herbed rice was a huge hit with Seth, and pork in orange sauce got thumbs up from both the adults. Oh, and Martha White’s whole grain muffin mixes? You can’t even tell that they’re whole grain.
- Moreso than needing to drop the extra weight, I’ve learned the bigger issue is being out of shape. Doing Level One, Day One of my workout DVD, 30 Day Shred (30DS), made it abundantly clear that I have lost ALL of the flexibility and strength from my cheerleading days. Crunches weren’t too bad, but push ups? Are you kidding me? And let’s just say, carrying some of that extra weight around in the form of nursing D-cups does not make for a pretty jumping jack.
- WalMart carries cute, affordable Danskin workout tops, shorts, and sports bras. I got six outfits for about $25.
Favorite snacks of the week:
- Kroger brand caramel flavored mini rice cakes
- frozen white grapes
- 3 squares of Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate with a quarter cup of dried cranberries – oh, yum!!!
Ways I know this is worth it, and working!:
- Random “you’re looking great!” compliment in the bathroom at church, from someone who doesn’t know I’m on this journey
- No visible panty lines in a particular pair of shorts that were just a little too tight even two weeks ago
- Better sleep, when I’m sleeping. Let’s face it, my workouts aren’t helping Erin sleep any better, so I’m still not getting an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
- My wedding rings are coming on and off with ease – whoo-hoo!
- This week: only 1 lb. I’m disappointed, but I have to keep it in perspective.
- Total: 5 lbs.
- Pounds to go in Phase One: 11 lbs.