While I’ve been known to employ the “one pound, one pan” method of feeding my family, I have to say, there may be no turning back to good ol’ Hamburger Helper after making this dish.
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
3 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2x1/2-inch strips.
- Melt butter over medium heat, and saute garlic. Add onions, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add beef into skillet, and cook until brown. Stir in 2/3 cup of the broth, the salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 1/3 cup broth into flour; slowly stir into skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil). Serve over noodles.
A couple points:
- traditional stroganoff is also made with mushrooms (I don’t eat them, so ours didn’t have them; if you’d like, cook 1 cup mushrooms at the same step as the onion);
- we already had left0ver steak from a previous meal, so I didn’t have to pay too close attention to actually cooking the meat, so much as reheating it;
- I didn’t cook my onions quite long enough, and I had a hard time getting past the slight crunch in the final texture;
- this was a GREAT meal to get red meat in front of my toddler. Seth loves pasta, in general, but I wasn’t sure he’d go for a non-red sauce dish. Surprise, surprise. He gobbled it right up!
- I didn’t realize our sour cream had gone bad (again, it’s not something we eat, so it was only from a previous recipe that I’d even had it in the fridge to begin with), but I didn’t miss the creaminess I’m sure it would’ve added to the dish. So, yea, for saving those calories.
Overall consensus: this will be a definite go-to meal for any leftover steak in the future. It was SO much easier to make than I anticipated, and since we all enjoyed it, I think we have a winner!
Ooh, thanks! I just bookmarked this page. I don't eat mushrooms, either, but I most definitely eat sour cream! lol
I'm gonna try that in John's lunch tonight. We have left over steak. Hope to see you next month. Love ya.
I wish I could get Todd to eat stroganoff. One of my fav's but maybe he's like what you feared- if it has red meat, it needs a red sauce. ha!
That recipe looks delicious though!
Post a Comment