With all of my recent trips to various hospitals and to numerous doctor's offices, you'd think I'd have already seen my obgyn, Dr. Morgan, in the last month. But between her vacation, our second trip to Ohio, and conflicting schedules, we actually hadn't seen each other since before Seth and I went to Florida.
However, Jim and I were finally able to sit down with her and discuss what is going on with my body right now, and what will be going on with it in the coming months.
While we wait for her to receive the results of the placental testing from Promedica (in Ohio), we will be set up with a Maternal Fetal Medicine group here in Nashville. This group of specialists will be overseeing my Recurrent Pregnancy Loss (RPL) panel (a series of blood work tests) and any subsequent pregnancy/ies that I may have here in Nashville.
These tests are structured to look for any abnormality or disorder that I have that is interfering with my pregnancies. I know some of you may be thinking, "why haven't they done this testing already?," and it's a legitimate question. Most doctors will not even think about this series of tests until a patient has had two, and more often three, miscarriages. We were planning on having RPL testing done once we'd moved to Tennessee, but became pregnant with Duncan too quickly.
Because these tests need to be run when a patient is not pregnant, we will be waiting several more weeks to make entirely sure that all my hormone levels have returned to normal. Once the testing is done, we should receive the results within a few weeks.
Dr. Morgan is confident that we will get our answer. I think she is leaning toward me having an autoimmune blood clotting disorder. This is one of the better case scenarios, as most clotting disorders can be treated in such a way to increase the odds of a successful, full-term pregnancy into the 90th percentile.
Here's where my blood pressure starts to rise, as my brain spins around all the possible ways this testing could go.
~ the testing could show a specific wrong that is treatable. Then we would have to decide whether the risk is worth trying another pregnancy.
~ the testing could show a specific wrong that is NOT treatable. Then we would have to decide what form of permanent sterility is best for Jim and I.
~ the testing could be inconclusive. We'd then be back to deciding if the risk to my health could be too great to attempt another pregnancy.
~ the testing could show a treatable wrong, and only one of us would want to pursue another pregnancy, while the other thinks the risk is to great.
And those are only the questions that pertain to another biological pregnancy.
Overall, though, both Jim and I were encouraged after our appointment with Dr. Morgan. We feel like we have a game plan, even though the next step is still a few weeks off. Most likely, we will have all the information needed to make our next decision by the end of the summer.
Please keep this situation -- specifically the RPL -- in your prayers. We have made it very clear to our doctors that this is the only testing we plan to pursue, so we are, in a manner, putting all our eggs in this one basket, as far as getting any answers go.
It's an unsettling place to be in. We want to do what is best for our family, and best for my health, and at times, we just don't know what direction to go. This is something you don't plan for. You plan for your children's college fund; you plan for retirement. But just the having of a baby? It's supposed to be simpler than this.
I'm glad that you at least have some sort of structure to the next step in all of this. Good luck!
I've been through the panel myself, Mon - and while we found out that I have MTHFR, they didn't think that should have caused my losses. Hope you are able to get some answers and clarity.
Sending lots of prayers to you as you go through the RPL. If you ever need to talk, feel free to get in touch.
You are right, it should be easier and you should be able to blissfully enjoy your pregnancy(ies) without a care in the world. I am so sad that you will struggle with that in the future. For now, I am glad that you have a plan in place and hope you can focus on this one step at a time.
I will continue to pray for you and Jim as you go through the round of testing and beyond. You both are often on my heart and in my prayers. I wish I was close enough to give you a hug!
Ok, third time's a charm, maybe.
I will simply say that I am praying. And hopeful to read a positive outcome to all of this.
( I also wish I could hug you in person.)
It sure is...
Praying, praying, praying. Praying for clear answers, for peace while you wait, and for God's will to be done.
You are a courageous couple. Do what you think is right and have faith that answers will come that will direct your next steps. Sincere best wishes.
I'm somewhat familiar with what you said because Amy (my younger sister) was told that she would need the testing if she had a third miscarriage. She had a baby boy with no problems or complications. When he was 8 mo. old, she miscarried a baby then miscarried again 6 mo. after that. She waited a little while because she needed the time, then got pregnant again. Thankfully, the Lord allowed that baby to live and she now has 2 little boys. All this while being a missionary's wife in South Africa. They came home during the Thanksgiving and Christmas months and had been told that if she lost the baby that third time, she would need to have that testing done while in the states as they don't have anything like that available in SA. Her dr. in SA knew of the testing but wasn't able to perform it for her nor did he know of anyone who could help her in that way. He's also the only specialist in the area! All that to say that I don't know or understand all the testing procedures, but am somewhat familiar from talking with Amy what you may have to look forward too. We'll be praying for you these next few weeks and especially after the testing has taken place that the Lord would supply the answers that you, Jim, and the drs. so desperately seek. Love you!
Post a Comment